*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Consider this challenging opportunity with the Emergency Health Services Branch, Renfrew Ambulance Communication Centre. This temporary irregularly scheduled/on-call fixed-term contract position is available for a dedicated individual to work rotating shifts in a 24/7 environment.
Renfrew County is located in the heart of the Ottawa Valley in Eastern Ontario and stretches from the outskirts of Canada’s Capital, the City of Ottawa, in the east and along the shores of historic Ottawa River in the Province of Ontario, to the northern tip of the world famous Algonquin Park’s wilderness in the west.
Those who apply for Ambulance Communications Officer positions and successfully complete the screening of their applications, testing and interview processes may be offered a position with the dispatch centre. As a dispatch centre employee, the ministry will provide a comprehensive six-week entry-to-practice core training program in land ambulance dispatching at an assigned dispatch training facility operated by the ministry. During the core training, you are a paid Central Ambulance Communications Centre staff member and costs relating to the core training, including travel and accommodation for training outside your area, are paid for by the ministry.
Following successful completion of the core training program, graduates must then successfully complete the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care’s Ambulance Communications Officer certification examination and return to their dispatch centre under a local training and coaching program to complete the training.
Job offers are conditional upon a satisfactory criminal record check, obtaining valid standard first aid and targeted responder CPR certifications within 30 days of employment and successful completion of computer operations education as a pre-requisite to attending core training. Successful completion of core training includes obtaining a Restricted Radio Operator’s certification. This is followed by Ambulance Communications Officer Certification and local on-the-job training.
This competition may be used to fill upcoming opportunities within the next 14 months following the closing date of the job ad posting.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this exciting role you will:
• Work rotating shifts in a 24/7 environment.
• Process 9-1-1 emergency and non-emergency requests for ambulance service.
• Direct ambulance movements.
• Provide pre-arrival instructions.
• Communicate with individuals under stress.
• Operate complex computer-aided telecommunications equipment
How do I qualify?
Job offer conditional upon the following:
• You must possess typing skills at 35 w.p.m. with 90% accuracy.
• You must be able to provide a satisfactory criminal record check.
• You must be able to possess a valid standard first-aid and targeted responder CPR Certificate within 30 days of employment.
• You must be able to possess a Restricted Radio Operator Certificate within 30 days of employment.
• You must be able to successfully complete the Ambulance Communications Officer provincial certification.
MULTI-TASKING AND ORGANIZATIONAL SKILLS:
• Proven multi-tasking skills and the ability to coordinate a variety of activities.
• Demonstrated organizational and memory recall skills.
• Ability to maintain control under pressure and use professional judgment.
ANALYTICAL AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:
• Proven critical thinking, decision making and problem solving skills.
• Ability to interpret and apply policies, procedures and information.
• Proven ability to handle situations in a professional manner.
• Demonstrated leadership and customer service skills.
• Proven interpersonal and communication skills.
• Proficient in computer software and computer based telecommunications applications.
• Understanding of spatial concepts and can read maps, calculate time, distance and movement.
- 2 Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 490 Raglan St N , Renfrew, East Region, General Screening Requirement
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Thursday, August 24, 2017 11:59 pm EDT. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.