Reporting to the Manager of Plant Services, the Assistant Tradesperson provides support to Tradespersons in the maintenance and construction of the Board’s buildings and sites, and in the repair of furniture and equipment. The duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Furniture repair for Board schools/sites
- Rough and finish carpentry; painting with brush, roller and spray equipment;
- Drywall and masonry installation, finishing and repair;
- Installation, maintenance and repair of interior and exterior building surfaces;
- Millwork construction, equipment repair;
- Tackboard and chalkboard assembly and installation;
- Curtain and drapery installation and repairs;
- Installation, repair and maintenance of playground equipment, fences and other exterior fixtures
- Hardware installation and repairs;
- Running wire for data and communication systems;
- Record keeping of time, materials and travel;
- Grounds maintenance and building cleaning;
- Bulky and/or heavy lifting and other physical duties such as carrying, reaching/bending, pushing/pulling, climbing, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma
- 2-3 years working experience in general building, maintenance, renovations and repair;
- Skilled in the use of hand-held and power tools;
- Ability to interpret miscellaneous drawings and schematics;
- Strong interpersonal and excellent organizational skills;
- Strong mathematical skills and a good command of verbal and written English;
- Ability to handle multiple priorities efficiently and effectively with minimal supervision;
- Ability to perform physically demanding, strenuous duties;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle; Driver’s abstract will be required at time of hire.
- Demonstrated ability in computer software applications, i.e., Email, Excel and databases;
- Strong understanding of the Occupational Health and Safety Act as it applies to construction and maintenance, including WHMIS and the safe handling and use of all supplies, tools and safety equipment.
- Must have a license in carpentry or in process of obtaining such license.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $17.92 /hour
- general building maintenance and repair: 2 years
- High school or equivalent
Required licenses or certifications:
- Drivers License G