The Business Analysis and Planning function supports the Capital Projects Program Office (CPPO) planning for CNL. We seek to add value for our stakeholders by (i) working with the CEO and Executives to establish CNL’s strategic direction, and documenting with well-defined results-based strategic and financial objectives; (ii) coordinating the preparation of operational plans across the company, so activities are planned, resourced, and budgeted in a consistent manner; (iii) confirming that the operational plans have fully responded to the procedures developed by the Program Office; (iv) perform monthly schedule and cost variance reports and compile Dashboards and (v) driving for continuous improvements to the planning process, while ensuring compliance with regulatory and corporate requirements.
This challenging position will play a key role in supporting senior and executive management with all activities related to business planning and performance management. The Capital Projects Program Office is responsible for maintaining order, on behalf of Executives and Directors, with the expenditure of the annual capital budget ensuring that the Executives, Directors and Senior Managers are fully aware of the financial status of projects under the program.
- Support the development of the Annual Program of Work and Budget (APWB) for Capital Projects. Key activities include: updating requirements for the prioritizing and content of Capital projects and assist with project selection.
- Monitor and report on program compliance and progress. This includes providing trend analysis of all financial elements of the Capital Portfolio.
- Prepare the financial budgeting plans for the Capital Program, establish cost monitoring process for monthly and quarterly reporting, forecasting, monitoring Project Baseline Change Proposals in order to assist decision making on in year budgetary changes and the financial impact. The preparation of reports to the VP Operations, for the Capital program. Develop and monitor the organization’s budget, schedules, prepare monthly financial reports package and provide commentary on financial performance, opportunities and risks, and action plans for resolving variances. This includes assisting the line organizations with the analysis of Performance and Cost data reports and variances on a monthly basis.
- Prepare Earned Value Management System (EVM), financial and business operations/performance reports for senior/executive level management, to clearly articulate emerging issues and communicate planned courses of action. Prepare presentation slide deck in support of the monthly Capital Program Oversight Meeting.
- Monitor and track all capital equipment project execution and financial performance against the annual capital project plan.
- Provide control, coordination assist in the development of Sanctioning Business Case and request for Sanction and associated project documentation with Control Account Managers (CAMS) to ensure effective and timely project execution.
- Undertake administration of various committees including CPOM on a monthly or as needed basis (e.g. Annual Budgeting); and create and maintain records from meetings. Manage information and ensure that accurate and sufficient documentation exists.
- Participate in the creation and/or continuous improvement of processes for the CPPO organization.
- Develop and implement manuals, plans, procedures, working instructions and mechanisms to support CPPO business operations and activities that adhere to corporate requirements.
- Participate in the preparation and review of Company-Wide and departmental manuals, procedures, operating Instructions.
- Provide strategic direction, leadership, and support to department staff in development and implementation of processes, procedures, and working instruction to support operations and activities.
- Interact with a diverse group of CNL staff (i.e. Directors, Managers, Program Authorities, Program Managers and Project Managers).
- Support the Manager, CPPO in leading annual operational planning including development of operational plans/planning documents and cost monitoring models.
- Secondary School graduation with 1 year additional training plus 4-7 years relevant work experience or relevant 3 year College Diploma with 1 to 2 years work experience, or relevant University Degree with no experience or equivalent in experience, additional education, and/or training. Preferred candidates will have experience as a branch or divisional administrative assistant.
- Strong working knowledge of Primavera for planning and schedule development and reporting methodologies, processes and tools with ability to interrogate schedules for compliance with Change Control process.
- Competence and successful experience in planning and reporting within a team environment.
- Candidates must have demonstrated experience in working with multi-disciplinary subjects/topics involving organizing, planning, coordinating, assessing, analysing and presenting information and ideas.
- Experience in reviewing strategic issues/topics and developing and writing business plans, reports, presentation packages, briefing notes and annotated agendas.
- Experience working with business planning and administration. Knowledge of business planning and reporting methodologies would be significant an advantage.
CNL has an Employment Equity Program and encourages applications from women, Aboriginal Peoples, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.