*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Note: Hours for these positions are irregular and can vary from 0 up to 40 hours per week, with no guarantee of hours.
What can I expect to do in this role?
In this role, you will:
• Perform a full range of duties, including the care, custody, control and supervision of offenders
• Interact with offenders to maintain security and safety in the facility
• Provide community escort duties to ensure the safety of offenders, staff, visitors and the public
• Maintain communications with a range of contacts, including offenders, co-workers, supervisors, clinical and medical staff
How do I qualify?
You must meet the following pre-requirements to apply:
• Be a minimum of 18 years of age
• Be able to provide proof of eligibility to work in Canada
• Possess oral French skills at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual positions)
• Be currently certified and/or able to be certified by first day of employment in Emergency First Aid, Cardiopulmonary Heartsaver (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator(AED)
• Must have original proof of Grade 12 completion or an equivalency (e.g. general equivalency diploma/certificate)
• Must be able to work rotating shifts, including days, afternoons and nights, and on weekends and statutory holidays
To be considered for the Correctional Officer position, you must successfully complete the following during the recruitment process:
• Ministry administered aptitude, cognitive and psychological tests
• Candidates who are selected to participate in the Correctional Officer recruitment process will be required to successfully complete FITCO testing prior to a conditional offer of employment being made
• Correctional Officer pre-employment medical exam
• Correctional Officer Training and Assessment (COTA) program
• Oral French Language test at the Advanced-Minus level (for bilingual correctional officer positions only)
• Correctional Officer Enhanced Security Clearance process, which includes:
-Vulnerable Services Sector Check
-Out-of-Country Check (if applicable)
-RCMP Records Check
-NICHE/RMS File Check
-PIP (Police Information Portal) Check
-Credit Equifax Check
-Immigration Status Check
-Ministry of Transportation (MTO) Check – last ten years
For further information on the Recruitment Process of Correctional Officers, please visit:
• Email: CSRU@ontario.ca
• Phone: 1-855-927-CSRU (2778)
Communication (Oral and Written) skills
• Ability to communicate effectively via oral and written communication
• Ability to communicate in writing (e.g. complete detailed, accurate and clear written reports), and documentation
• Ability to communicate verbally in a clear and respectful manner to provide information, instructions and direction
Observation, Analytical and Problem Solving skills
• Ability to assess problems and determine solutions
• Ability to make recommendations and take appropriate actions
Team Work/Interpersonal and Persuasion skills
• You have ability to work cooperatively towards a common goal
• You have ability to motivate, positively influence and assist people
• You can foster open communication and treat others in a consistent, fair, firm and non-judgemental manner
Crisis Intervention and Conflict Resolution skills
• Ability to recognize and understand situations that may produce conflict and use strategies to resolve and/or de-escalate
• Ability to recognize and assess a crisis or potential crisis situation, and implement appropriate solutions in an attempt to resolve the crisis
General Knowledge and Computer skills
• General knowledge of court procedures (e.g. to testify/present evidence at court hearings)
• Knowledge of different cultures and ability to understand and respect differences when interacting with others
• Ability to use computer software (e.g. database, Excel, MS Office) to input/retrieve data
- 95 Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 541 Highway 36, Lindsay, East Region or 2244 Innes Rd, Ottawa, East Region or 89 Richmond Blvd, Napanee, East Region or 1804 Hwy 2 E, ST Lawrence Valley Trtmt Ctr, Brockville, East Region, Enhanced – CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- 5 Bilingual Temporary – Irregular On-Call, duration up to 6 months, 541 Highway 36, Lindsay, East Region or 2244 Innes Rd, Ottawa, East Region or 89 Richmond Blvd, Napanee, East Region or 1804 Hwy 2 E, ST Lawrence Valley Trtmt Ctr, Brockville, East Region, Enhanced – CPIC Check, VSS Check, Intelligence Check, Local Police Record Check, Internet Search, Credit Check, Immigration Status Check, MTO Check, Fingerprint-based CPIC
- This ad is also available in French.
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service Employment Screening Checks Policy, the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Please refer to the Additional Information / Address section above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), HR Service Delivery Division to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional screening checks as indicated in the Additional Information / Address section above that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening/Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service.)
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.