Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Manager of Food Services is responsible for the total operation of the Dietary Department.
1. Works in co-operation with the Executive Director to hire, direct, reprimand, suspend or discharge employees.
2. Attends multi-disciplinary care conference to discuss diet goals for residents and have input into care plan development.
3. Meets with nursing and dietary staff to assure implementation of therapeutic diets as ordered by physicians.
4. Collaborate with multidisciplinary team, along with residents and families to customize dietary plans
5. Ensures that the dietary department is meeting the residents’ nutritional needs.
6. Reviews weekly menus with cooks to ensure:
- correct food ordering
- usage of seasonal foods
- taking advantage of specials
- rotation of stock
7. Ensures that adequate standards of cleanliness and sanitation are maintained in food handling and food storage, and food service.
8. Assures proper filing and posting of menus.
9. Organize Special Lunches and Parties for residents and their families
10. Deals personally with Public Health Department Inspectors during dietary inspections.
11. Is knowledgeable about the Resident Rights and Responsibilities and assists dietary staff to respect Is and promote it.
12. Know and interpret facility’s policies, procedures and practices and communicates these to the appropriate personnel.
13. Initiates and provides staff orientation and in-service programs for dietary personnel.
14. Evaluates staff performance to ensure efficiency.
15. Prepares time and work schedules, assigns duties on the basis of work priorities and availability of staff, redistributing staff where necessary, checking attendance, maintaining accurate records.
16. Provides job analysis and role functions for all dietary personnel within their scope of practices.
17. Reviews and revises personnel policies in conjunction with the Executive Director.
18. Ensures policy and procedure manuals are available for reference for all dietary personnel.
19. Ensures availability and maintenance of dietary supplies and equipment and submits requisitions, as necessary.
20. Provides standardized recipes for all menu dishes.
21. Meets with residents/family to resolve problems/concerns/complaints and review suggestions on menu items on a need be basis.
22. Attends Resident meetings as requested to discuss concerns/complaints/suggestions.
23. Maintains good working relationships with all staff members.
24. Performs other related duties as requested
25. Dealings with unions/Labour Management Meetings.
1. Graduate of recognized course in Food Service Supervision. Eligible for membership in Food Service Supervisor’s Association.
2. Minimum of three years’ experience as a Food Service Supervisor in a geriatric, rehabilitation or long-term care facility is desirable.
3. Must be a competent person as defined by the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Is qualified because of knowledge, training and experience to organize the work and its performance.
- Is familiar with the provisions of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the regulations that apply to the work, and
- Has knowledge of any potential or actual danger to health or safety in the workplace.
4. Skill in planning, coordinating and supervising comprehensive dietary programs.
5. Demonstration of knowledge of all regulations under the Acts that govern the standards in health care facilities.
6. Demonstration of leadership and teaching skills. Knowledge of the dietary needs of the elderly so as to assess, plan, supervise and evaluate same.
7. Maturity and good physical and mental health.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $45,000.00 per year
- Dental care
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Vision care
- Monday to Friday
- On call
- Dietary Manager: 1 year (Preferred)