The Opportunity – Driver
Carefor is in search of a highly responsible and client focused Driver who will demonstrate the utmost respect and care to the clients we serve.
In this role, reporting to the Manager, Community Support Services, you will operate a passenger van to transport clients safely and efficiently. You will insure clients are picked up and dropped off to attend their appointments as scheduled and assists clients with other needs as necessary.
You will do this by interacting and communicating effectively with clients, colleagues, physicians, volunteers and other organizations.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,400 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing services for over 123 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
What you will do:
· Pick up clients at a specified location, at designated time and transport to their destination on time.
· Guide or assist client to get in and out of the vehicle
· Escort clients as required from door to door and if necessary, ensure the appropriate person at the destination is aware of the client’s arrival.
· Load mechanical aids, handling equipment safely and carefully to prevent damage. Ensue aids or other items are secured in the vehicle
· Collect fees as directed by management.
· Report any incident or concern regarding client to manager, e.g. changes in condition, increasing frailty, confusion or forgetfulness
· Carrie out Daily Inspection and records.
· Does not operate the vehicle if safety features on the vehicle are not operating properly e.g. brake lights, turn signals, back up signal.
· Record on the Daily Inspection sheet and reports any mechanical deficiencies e.g. improperly operating signal lights, low tires, unusual sounds.
· Keep interior and exterior of vehicle clean – daily removing garbage and other items; weekly thorough cleaning of interior and exterior (weather permitting).
· May be assigned to take vehicle to the service center for maintenance.
· May be required to carry out minor maintenance such as changing windshield wipers, air in tires.
· Keep the vehicle at least ¾ full of fuel at all times
· Accurately completes records of drives, mileage, fares, and time as required by Carefor
· Attend in-service or department meetings as scheduled
· Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures
· Reports the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which he/she is aware and which may endanger him/herself or another worker
· Reports any violations of the Health and Safety Act or the regulations, or the existence of any hazard
· Ensure all workplace incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation, and Carefor policies and procedures for workplace injuries and incidents
You will need to have:
· Current valid driver’s license, Class G or higher in the province of Ontario (not graduated license)
· No known health conditions that may impair driving safety
· Be at least 25 years of age for insurance purposes
· Minimum of 3 years driving experience and a clean driving record
Qualifications considered an asset:
· Secondary School education
· Experience working with seniors and/or persons with disabilities
· F Class Driver’s License
What We Have to Offer You:
· Rewarding pay, benefits, and pension program
· Onboarding, education, professional training and staff development opportunities
· A collaborative culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
· Senior leadership team that believes in building trust and working together
Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you at this time.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in confidence. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged and those selected for an interview will be contacted directly. Compensation will be market competitive and will be dependent on your qualifications and experience. We know that fit for a role goes both ways – You may have other questions – so feel free to email us in advance of applying. The posting will remain active on our website until our search process is complete.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.
Job Type: Permanent
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday