Family Services Worker
|Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County|
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posted: August 25th 2017
|Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is currently recruiting for a Family Services Worker. This is a full-time, contract position until April 2018.|
Family Service Child Protection positions represent the major category of authorized child protection workers in the agency and all of these positions provide this specialist service. To provide child protection and prevention services as required by the Child and Family Services Act and to enhance children’s services development in the community. To investigate requests for child protection, family counseling and prevention as assigned. To assess the type of intervention required by Family and Children’s Services and to provide professional social work services including supervision, child and parent counseling and written referrals to other resources as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides assessment, intervention and case management services with families identified by risk assessment practices. The services are designed to increase parental capacity and/or conclude that the need to protect a child is paramount using resources external to the family.
- Duties are generally prescribed by the Child and Family Services Act and the associated standards of government.
- Intervenes actively with family service/child protection clients as per provincial and agency standards. This position assesses risk, builds parental capacity and acts decisively to ensure permanency of care
- Demonstrates timely and clearly planned case management through continuously available file recording including assessments and service plans.
- Coordinates the delivery of collateral services and through the use of a case conference format, demonstrates the case management function assigned to Family and Children’s Services by legislation.
- Ensures active admission conference planning by anticipating the necessity for placement and by seeking the most qualified placement resource. This activity
- precedes the necessary admission of children with or without consent. This position prepares files for legal review by appropriate legal conference and via continuous instruction to agency counsel.
- This position is dedicated to child protection but assumes legal responsibility for those decisions affecting quality of care. The position provides oversight for child care assessments and recording, as necessary supervises access for the purpose of assessing parental capacity and serves as the agency’s major witness respecting conduct of the case.
- Provides night duty (emergency) services as scheduled.
- Prepares agenda and actively participates in the learning and accountability process of supervision and the regular team case and policy review process.
- As a component of case management, the position refers in writing to collateral services for assessment and intervention and ensures accountability for the requested services.
- Regularly consults with child care staff regarding child development, child education and foster parent capacity.
- Actively plans the closure of cases including child care discharge by reviewing child development benchmarks, e.g. CAFAS and by demonstrating increased parental capacity and consequent risk reduction.
- Assumes other related duties that may, from time to time, be directed and authorized by supervisory personnel.
|Family Service – Child Protection positions are designated at the Worker III, IV and V levels with individual classification dependent upon academic qualifications and years of related experience. The requisite degree shall be a B.S.W.|
- The duties performed on a regular basis constitute the standard for performance assessment. Failure to complete the regular duties may be considered grounds for discipline while the degree and quality of completion provides the substance of the performance review.
- The maintenance at all times of a caseload level authorized by a clinical supervisor. The delivery, according to agency and ministry guidelines, of those social work services reviewed as necessary to ensure child protection, normal child development and family stability and health.
- The maintenance of up-to-date clinical records which demonstrate case planning, delivery of planned services, achievement of goals and ongoing case closure and new case assignment. Case closure should constitute 30% of a protection caseload over a 12 month cycle.
- •Continuous liaison with assigned child care staff to ensure ongoing bench marking as an aid to decision making (CAFAS testing and child care case notes must be routinely signed off to ensure knowledge of child adjustment and development.
- The demonstration of decision skills through child admissions, continuous preparation to ensure timely court proceedings and case closure as per agency protocol.
- Demonstration of continuous improvement through 100% compliance with audits, active participation in team agenda and continuing self-learning through training and external courses.
- The satisfactory performance of special assignments as authorized by the Local Director through supervisory personnel.
|Please submit your resume and cover letter by email (preferred), or mail to and reference “Family Service Worker” in the subject line. Deadline to apply: September 1, 2017 at 4:00 p.m.|
Family and Children’s Services of Renfrew County is committed to providing a barrier free workplace. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
|Human Resources Coordinator|
Family and Childrens Services of Renfrew County
77 Mary Street, Suite 100,