Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry
Provincial Services Division
13991 – Forester 1
$946.94 – $1,140.85 Per Week*
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
Understanding the job ad – definitions
What can I expect to do in this role?
- As a member of the Resources Management Team under the general supervision of the Zone Manager, and the professional direction of the forester, assist with forest management program planning, monitoring and reporting.
• Support the development of all Forest Management Plans within Algonquin Park to provide for the sustainability of forest ecosystems
• Provide expertise in support of the zone integrated resource management programs and forestry advice to the general public, local forest industry, Indigenous communities and other external agencies
How do I qualify?
- You have knowledge of Ontario’s forest legislation, regulations and policies (e.g. Crown Forest Sustainability Act, Forest Management Planning Manual, Forest Information Manual, Forest Operations and Silviculture Manual).
• You have knowledge of principles and practices of forest ecosystem management.
• Knowledge of forest compliance procedures to assist with compliance reviews and inspections.
• Knowledge of worker responsibilities as outlined in the OH&S Act that apply to the workplace and the work being performed.
Analytical and Research Skills
- You have analytical and organizational skills to review information and reports and make recommendations/solutions on a variety of resource matters.
• Well-developed organizational, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills;
- Ability to use various computer software including word-processing, GIS, electronic mail, internet and spreadsheet applications to prepare correspondence, reports and maps, input and retrieve data, prepare budgets and track expenditures; use internet and e-mail.
Successful candidates may be required to undergo an employment screening check in accordance with the Ontario Employment Screening Checks Policy.
- Proof of eligibility to work in Canada;
• Has graduated or will graduate from an approved or legally authorized college or university with a degree, postgraduate certificate or diploma within the last four years;
• Candidates are only eligible to participate in one MNRF 18-month placement and must not have participated in the MNRF internship program in the past.
How to Apply
Send applications to: Jane Winters, Administrative Assistant, Algonquin Zone, C/O Arrowhead Provincial Park, RR#3, 451 Arrowhead Park Road, Huntsville, ON P1H 2J4, firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: The minimum salary rates identified in this posting are subject to revision as a result of the recently agreed to OPSEU collective agreement covering the period of January 1, 2015 to December 31, 2017.
- 1 Temporary, duration up to 18 months, Pembroke, East Region
Ontario Public Service Employees Union
Understanding the job ad – definitions
Monday, February 5, 2018
How to apply:
- You must submit your application using only one of the methods identified below.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Be sure to quote the Job ID number for this position.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
Send application to:
Algonquin Zone, C/O Arrowhead Provincial Park, RR#3, 451 Arrowhead Park Road
Huntsville, ON P1H 2J4
Please be advised that the results of this competition may be used to form an eligibility list of qualified candidates to potentially fill future vacancies represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU). In accordance with the Collective Agreement, eligibility lists are shared with OPSEU representatives. By applying to this competition, you are providing consent that your name may be shared with OPSEU representatives.
All external applicants (including former employees of the Ontario Public Service) applying to a competition in a ministry or Commission public body must disclose (either in the cover letter or resume) previous employment with the Ontario Public Service. Disclosure must include positions held, dates of employment and any active restrictions as applicable from being rehired by the Ontario Public Service. Active restrictions can include time and/or ministry-specific restrictions currently in force, and may preclude a former employee from being offered a position with the Ontario Public Service for a specific time period (e.g. one year), or from being offered a position with a specific ministry (either for a pre-determined time period or indefinitely). The circumstances around an employee’s exit will be considered prior to an offer of employment.
Remember: The deadline to apply is Monday, February 19, 2018 11:59 pm EST. Late applications will not be accepted.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
The Ontario Public Service is an inclusive employer.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Note: The only website where you can apply on-line for positions with the Ontario Public Service is http://www.gojobs.gov.on.ca