Library Assistant III (Casual)– job post
The Library Assistant III contributes to the daily operation of Library Services by providing internal and external customers with access to information resources by retrieving information in databases and publications; coordinating external searches and photocopying service; and procurement of publications to support the business and research of the nuclear sector.
- Performs Reference Desk and Circulation duties
- Performs database searching, covering both technical and business databases to identify and retrieve literature for CNL employees.
- Performs technical and financial information retrieval from various electronic databases, network resources, the Internet, print sources and/or coordinating the searches with external suppliers and prepares summaries of research as required to ensure accurate information is provided to internal customers in a timely manner.
- Perform original descriptive and subject cataloguing and classification for various library materials using Library of Congress and AACR2. Perform copy cataloguing with the aid of CIP information, OCLC records, and Z39.50. Create item record, assign cutter number and print spine label for each physical item.
- Provides document delivery services and ensures all copyright rules are strictly followed and correct disclaimers are issued with each document delivery to ensure compliance with copyright laws.
- Develops and delivers formal and informal training to customers in the use Library resources such as databases, the online CNL Library catalogue, the Internet and other reference material to enable easy access to information at the customer’s convenience.
- Compiles operational procedure manuals as a quality assurance practice for continuous process improvement and efficiency.
- Data entry of cataloguing information for the International Nuclear Information System (INIS)
- Markets the library services through various promotional activities such as contacting new employees, distributing promotional materials, doing presentations and engaging in other publicity activities to promote and advertise the library services.
- A Master of Library Science or equivalent or Library Technician diploma and a minimum of 2-3 years’ of experience.
- Experience in answering general and in-depth information requests, using both online and print reference tools.
- Knowledge of and experience in cataloguing various materials.
- Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification system, subject headings, standard library terminology and filing rules in order to access, retrieve and shelve library materials.
- Knowledge of copyright legislation, particularly the rules pertaining to document delivery and copying to ensure compliance with laws and regulations of copyright materials
- Familiarity with Library automation systems
- Experience in the acquisition of library materials including researching, ordering, receiving, and allocating costs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
Abilities and Skills
- Ability to conduct reference interviews to determine the specific nature, scope, and depth of each request.
- Ability to conduct database searches including search strategy development using Boolean logic and command language.
- Strong customer service orientation
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Computer literacy utilizing MS Office software applications
Related Jobs (96)
- Meat Cutter on October 18, 2021
- Human Resources Generalist on October 18, 2021
- Behaviour Consultant on October 18, 2021
- Administrative Assistant on October 18, 2021
- Family and Community Engagement Worker on October 18, 2021
- Indigenous Child and Youth Services Worker on October 18, 2021
- Veteran Care Coordinator on October 18, 2021
- General Manager on October 18, 2021
- Customer Experience Associate on October 18, 2021
- Medical Receptionist on October 18, 2021