$67,241 to $72,660For further information on the organization, please visit National DefenceClosing date: 14 February 2019 – 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: Persons residing in Canada and Canadian citizens residing abroad.Apply online
We are committed to providing an inclusive and barrier-free work environment, starting with the hiring process. If you need to be accommodated during any phase of the evaluation process, please use the Contact information below to request specialized accommodation. All information received in relation to accommodation will be kept confidential.
Please note that we will only accept online applications submitted through the GC Jobs website.
When submitting your application, you will also have to answer questions regarding the education and experience requirements (both essential and asset qualifications). You MUST CLEARLY DEMONSTRATE how you meet these qualifications by answering the online screening questions. Your responses to screening questions will also be used to assess the Ability to communicate effectively in writing.
It is NOT sufficient to only state that the qualifications are met or to only provide a listing of current or past responsibilities. You must clearly explain WHEN, WHERE and HOW you acquired each qualification by giving concrete examples. Information on your described education and experience in the screening questions must be supported in your resume.
Failure to provide the above information in the format required may result in your application being eliminated from the process.
The Security Specialist will be responsible for managing a Canadian Special Operations Forces Command unit’s security program and advising the Commanding Officer and unit personnel. The responsibilities will include governance, planning, monitoring and reporting on security related issues. It also includes administering security controls such as training, risk management, physical security, security screening, security in contracting, security of information, administrative investigations and others. Successful candidates will work with other security personnel, military police and personnel in and outside of their unit to achieve security while ensuring that the overall CANSOFCOM priority to conduct successful military operations is realised.
CANSOFCOM provides the Government of Canada with agile, high-readiness Special Operations Forces capable of conducting special operations across the spectrum of conflict at home and abroad. CANSOFCOM is looking to hire security specialists who are competent, mentally agile, lifelong learners committed to professional excellence. These specialists will support Canada’s Special Forces achieve their missions in a fast-paced environment which can be demanding, time sensitive, complex and in politically sensitive circumstances. Security must effectively safeguard our personnel, information and assets while simultaneously enabling military operations.
Intent of the process
There is an important need to staff three (3) indeterminate positions in Petawawa, Ontario.
A pool of qualified candidates may be established and may be used to staff identical or similar positions with various security levels, tenures, locations, language requirements and linguistic profiles.
Positions to be filled: 3
Information you must provide
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)
- A secondary school diploma or an acceptable combination of education, training and / or experience.
- Experience providing guidance to clients or management on policies and procedures
- Experience providing training to employees, colleagues or clients
- Experience making recommendations to senior management*
- Experience collaborating with stakeholders
- Experience analyzing and synthesizing a variety of information
- Experience preparing reports or documents and organizational policies or standards
- Senior management is defined as at least Canadian Armed Forces Commanding Officers, Colonel or EX-01 level or equivalent.
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)
The process will be used to staff the above-mentioned position with a language requirement of English Essential. It may also be used to establish a pool of qualified candidates which could be used to staff identical and /or similar positions with various language requirements and/ or linguistic profiles.
Information on language requirements
- Knowledge of the Policy on Government Security and related directives and standards
- Ability to effectively manage conflicting priorities
- Ability to communicate orally
- Ability to communicate in writing
- Ability to deliver training
- Ability to analyse information or interpret complex situation and develop advice, recommendations
- Ability to negotiate and build consensus
- Client Services
- Effective interpersonal relationships
- Thoroughness and Accuracy
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)
- Security training from federal organizations or allied defence organizations.
- Experience conducting administrative investigations
- Experience conducting threat or risk analysis
- Experience supervising and coaching a team
- Experience researching and providing recommendations on security policies, directives, standards or guidelines
- Knowledge of the National Defence Security Orders and Directives and standards
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques for preparing federal threat or risk assessments
- Willingness and ability to travel on occasion nationally and internationally
- Willingness and ability to work extended/modified hours on short notice due to security incidents
- Must be willing and able to attend training
Conditions of employment
Secret security clearance – This process will be used to staff the above-mentioned position with various security level: Secret, Top Secret, Special access. It may also be used to establish a pool of qualified candidates which could be used to staff identical and /or similar positions with various security levels (Secret,Top Secret, Special access).
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled and diverse workforce that reflects the Canadians we serve. We promote employment equity and encourage you to indicate if you belong to one of the designated groups when you apply.
Information on employment equity
1. You must provide the following information when submitting your application: Your resume.
2. Please identify clearly your Personal Record Identifier (PRI), your substantive group and level and your employment status on your resume and/or your application, if you are already an employee within the Public Service.
3. Our intention is to communicate with candidates via email. Candidates who apply on this selection process must include in their application a valid e-mail address and have to make sure that this address is functional at all times and accepts messages from unknown users. It is the candidate’s responsibility to provide any changes to their personal information to the contact person indicated on this job advertisement.
4. Persons are entitled to participate in the appointment process in the official language of their choice. Candidates are asked to indicate their preferred official language in their application.
5. Acknowledgment of receipt of applications will not be sent. We will contact candidates when the screening process is completed.
6. Candidates’ qualifications may be assessed by various tests, interview, role play and/or references.
7. Foreign educational credentials must be assessed by a recognized credential assessment service. If you have been educated outside of Canada, it is your responsibility to have your certificates and/or diplomas assessed against Canadian educational standards. For more information, please see the Canadian Information Centre for International Credentials (CICIC) at http://www.cicic.ca/415/credentialassessment- services.canada.
FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE INFORMATION MAY RESULT IN YOUR ELIMINATION FROM THIS PROCESS.
8. Please note that all information received throughout the staffing process and all communications relating to this process, including email correspondence, may be used in the assessment of qualifications.
9. Please note that all notifications of consideration and notifications of appointment or proposals of appointment (immediate and future) related to this staffing process, will be posted on Jobs.gc.ca
10. Employees whose substantive positions are at the same group and level or equivalent may be considered for deployment.
Tips for applicants:
- Please provide complete and thorough details of your education and experience.
- Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
- Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
Preference will be given to veterans and to Canadian citizens, in that order, with the exception of a job located in Nunavut, where Nunavut Inuit will be appointed first.
Information on the preference to veterans
Related Jobs (58)
Bricklayer or Apprentice on February 21, 2019
Customer Service Representative on February 21, 2019
Physiotherapy Assistant on February 21, 2019
Assistant Store Manager on February 21, 2019
P-24-19 Clerk – Patient Information Centre on February 21, 2019
Order Picker Part Time on February 21, 2019
Service Desk Associate Part Time on February 21, 2019
EXCEL DEVELOP SPREADSHEET & DATA INPUT on February 21, 2019
Salesman – Leisure Days RV on February 21, 2019
Handyman – Leisure Days RV on February 20, 2019