|Pembroke MDF Inc. is a privately owned company, located just outside of Pembroke. Our facility utilizes high quality wood fiber supplied by local sawmills to manufacture high quality fibreboard and painted base board mouldings. Unlike other types of wood panels, the homogenous and uniform structure of fibreboard results in a product that is easily routed, milled and finished.|
We currently have an opportunity for the right individual to join our dynamic and talented team of employees as the Shipping Team Lead.
Reporting to the Procurement Manager, the Shipping Team Lead will be responsible for overseeing a wide variety of warehouse activities including shipping and receiving materials and/or finished goods and maintaining inventory and associated records. People management responsibilities include hiring and training, planning and assigning daily work, conducting evaluations, addressing performance issues and resolving problems.
The successful candidate will:
- Supervise and coordinate activities of workers engaged in verifying and keeping records on incoming and outgoing shipments and preparing items for shipment.
- Review shipping notices, bills of lading, invoices, orders and other records to determine shipping priorities, work assignments and shipping methods required to meet shipping and receiving schedules. Utilize knowledge of shipping procedures, routes, rates and pre negotiated agreements/contracts with preferred transportation suppliers.
- Oversee incoming and outgoing shipping activities to ensure accuracy, completeness, and condition of shipments.
- Determine space requirements and load plans for various commodities sizes and trailer and equipment types.
- Research to resolve ERP Issues as it pertains to processing of orders and inventory system issues.
- Respond to and resolve Canada-U.S. brokerage clearance issues, requests and maintain a working relationship with our preferred brokerage supplier(s).
- Ensure standard document reporting requirements such as inbound inventory audits and daily dock reports are produced and distributed in a timely manner.
- Provide direct support and primary contact services to both the internal sales, quality departments and select external customer queries or requests.
- Coordinate and manage working relationships with asset based transportation supplier, third party logistics companies and brokerages and transload or warehouse service companies.
- Determines routing and legal load limits of trucks, according to established schedules and weight limits.
- Inspect loading operations to ensure compliance with shipping specifications, and seal loaded boxcars and truck doors.
- Inspect material handling equipment for defects and notify maintenance personnel or contacts outside service facility for repair.
- Maintain daily forklift checklist and maintenance reports.
- Direct movement of shipments from shipping and receiving platform to storage and work areas.
- Compile records of unfilled orders.
- Post weight and updates or maintains transportation supplier rate database. Provide ad hoc rate inquiries to the sales team for prospective customers in various locations throughout North America.
- Prepare Bills of Lading, customs invoices, packing slips and any other required clearance or compliance documents for outbound orders.
- Support non-revenue related inbound or outbound shipments by assisting in the coordination of logistics, transportation, customs clearance and onsite and off-site storage of material.
- Oversee receiving of various oversized material ensuring direct communication with both the purchasing department and intended recipient of the product and equipment.
- Assist workers in shipping and receiving activities as required.
- Develop and maintain departmental work instructions for all tasks.
- Establish or adjust work procedures to meet warehouse demands as dictated by production schedules and work flow.
- Interpret company policies to workers and enforcing safety regulations.
- Recommend measures to improve warehouse operations, quality of service, and increases efficiency of department and work crew and equipment performance.
- Receive training to keep current with shipping and warehouse improvements via seminars and external training, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Minimum post-secondary education in business; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 2-4 years of direct work experience in a shipping or warehouse supervisory function and preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Forklift experience (valid certification is an asset)
- Heavy haul trucking, ocean, intermodal and rail shipping experience is considered an asset
- Minimum 3 years of experience supervising a staff of 6 or more employees
- Good interpersonal and reasoning skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for both internal and external customers
- Strong written and verbal skills to communicate with all levels of the organization and external customers
- Experience in managing third-party logistics providers
- Strong knowledge of ERP systems (i.e. Maximo), as well as Microsoft Office products including: Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Team leadership and teambuilding abilities
- Excellent conflict resolution skills, diplomacy, and tact
- Persuasive, motivational, and persistent
- Ability to interpret and act upon complex instructions
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Good financial and business awareness
- Strong quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Excellent planning and resource allocation skills
- Proven ability to be flexible to changing priorities in a fast paced work environment
- Maintains respectful communication with co-workers and supervisory staff
- Familiar with the company’s policies and processes and understands the impact of this position on the competitiveness and performance of the company
- Complies with and follows health and safety policies and programs
|This position will remain open until filled.|
Employment is conditional upon successfully completion of Pembroke MDF’s pre-employment checks which may include criminal record check, education verification, reference checks and drug and alcohol testing.
To apply for this position, please forward a copy of your cover letter and resume quoting the position title and file number.
Pembroke MDF Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and committed to providing accommodations for persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during the recruiting and selection process, we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only qualified applicants will be contacted.