Tour Guide – Docent
The Ottawa Valley Historical Society is seeking to hire a motivated individual to work as a Tour Guide/Docent at the Champlain Trail Museum and Pioneer Village from June 6th to August 29th, 2018.
- Provide informed tours of the museum and pioneer village to the public
- Planning and leading the museum children’s day camp
- Providing customer service to visitors
- Assist with planning and presenting special events and programs
- Assist with managing the Museums social media pages (ie. Facebook, Twitter)
- Schedule posts on the Museums social media (ie Facebook, Twitter)
- Clean and maintain museums physical plant, grounds and exhibits
- Act as good ambassadors for the museum and historical society
- Assist with preparing outreach presentations or exhibits
- Other duties as required
This job is suited to a University or college student from a liberal arts field, i.e. history, education, social sciences, geography, etc. College courses in Museum Studies would be an asset.
- Ability to multi-task
- Advanced experience using Microsoft Office and social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter)
- Good public speaking and organizational skills
- An interest in history and heritage in the community
- Must be a full-time student this past spring and returning to full-time studies in the fall Bilingualism is a definite asset
- The Ottawa Valley Historical Society is an equal opportunity employer, and will consider all applications with relevant qualifications. Final decisions on employment are based on the merit of the applicant.
Wage is $14.00 an hour.
Resumes with covering letters will be accepted until April 27, 2018. We thank all applicants for their interest, however; only individuals short-listed for interviews will be contacted.
Apply in person or by e-mail to:
Angela Siebarth, Director/Curator, Champlain Trail Museum and Pioneer Village, 1032 Pembroke St. East, Pembroke, Ont. K8A 6Z2.
Please note that this position is grant dependent. Funding would not be possible without funding from Young Canada Works.