Tel: (705) 789-9647 Fax: (705) 789-3353
Agence de foresterie du parc Algonquin
222, rue Main ouest, Huntsville, ON P1H 1Y1
Job Opportunity – Woodlands Supervisor – Pembroke
The Algonquin Forestry Authority (AFA), an Ontario Crown Agency invites applications for a one year contract
opportunity in the position of Woodlands Supervisor – Pembroke. It is anticipated that the position may
become permanent in June 2019. This recruitment process may be used to fill similar opportunities within the
organization as they arise. The AFA is an innovative and progressive organization charged with ensuring the
long term health of Algonquin Park forests while producing a sustainable supply of forest products for the
industry subject to the Crown Forests Sustainability Act.
The Woodlands Supervisor will report to the Manager of Operations at the AFA’s office in Pembroke, Ontario.
Located in the heart of the Ottawa Valley, Pembroke offers a wide variety of amenities including year-round
recreation opportunities, secondary and post-secondary educational facilities, and is less than a 2 hour drive
west of Ottawa.
What can I expect in this role?
In this role, you will:
- Oversee, monitor and deliver the Ontario Parks Roads maintenance work for approximately 220 km of
multi-use public access roads and AFA logging roads.
- Support the monitoring of contractor harvest and access operations in the North half of Algonquin
- Coordinate tendering and monitoring of major road construction/maintenance, bridge and other
specialized construction projects, including the acquisition of material and technical resources.
- Assist with operational program planning, including budgeting, contractor negotiations, product sales
and project reporting and act as an expert technical resource to AFA staff and contractors.
How do I qualify?
- Post-graduate diploma or degree from a recognized institution in Forestry and/or Civil Engineering,
with extensive (5+ years) forest access road construction and maintenance experience.
- Valid Ontario Class G driver’s license (or ability to obtain immediately).
- Ontario Forest Operations Inspection Program certification.
- Crown Land Bridge Management – Inspections training and experience.
- Ontario Tree Marking Level 1 and Level 2 (audit).
- Ontario Scaler’s License.
- Member of the Ontario Professional Foresters Association.
Required knowledge and skills:
- Knowledge of theories, methodologies and practices of sustainable forest resource management, and
applicable acts, regulations and manuals (e.g. Crown Forest Sustainability Act, Species at Risk Act,
Forest Management Planning Manual, Forest Information Manual) attained through practical
- A working knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act, regulations under the Act, other
related legislation, and standards and principles that apply to forest access and harvesting work
supervised or controlled.
- Knowledge of personal computers, database management, Geographic Information System (GIS),
Global Positioning System (GPS) and other current, relevant technologies.
- Ability to work in inclement weather, walk on uneven terrain, and work safely around heavy
equipment in remote areas of Algonquin Park.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills to work collaboratively in a complex, fast paced
environment, with the objective of achieving mutual goals.
- Reasoning, problem solving and analytical skills.
Compensation: $26.65 to $33.31 / hour (commensurate with experience) (under review)
Posted on: Friday, April 6, 2018
Deadline: Applications including resume and covering letter are to be received no later than Monday,
April 23, 2018.
How to apply:
1) You must apply by e-mail
2) Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed four (4) pages
3) Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples,
you must show how you have demonstrated the requirements for the job.
Interested candidates may submit their application in confidence via e-mail indicating “ Woodlands Supervisor ”
in the subject line to:
Jeff Leavey, General Manager
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The AFA is an equal opportunity employer. If you require a disability-related accommodation, contact the AFA
General Manager at the address above. Provide your specific contact information. You will be contacted
within 48 hours.